Thursday, May 7, 2009

Quote #141, My Thoughts and YOUR thoughts

I love Quotes. I love them because they make me think. What does the quoter mean? Why did he/she write this? Is there a message to get through to the reader/the world? What did YOU initially think when you read it?

Here goes blog quote #141....

"Keep thy eyes wide open before marriage, and half shut afterwards."
-Ben Franklin-

Very clever as well as a fascinating thought from the great inventor. This one open to many interpretations. Here's my take:

Before signing on the dotted line of marriage... DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Find out as much as you can, and be as thorough as you can about 'researching' your partner. Place the two of you in as many different situations as you can. How do they react under pressure? How are they around your friends? Your parents/ family? What about social settings? Work setttings? Traveling together with a group of others, and then just as a couple? In other words, keep the eyes wide open and KNOW what you are getting. Many hastily rush into marriage and are surprised with their partners actions; when they really never properly examined them to begin with.

Part two... keep your eyes half shut after marriage. I think this is learning to overlook the small nuances. Pick your battles. Ignore the itsy-bitsy, non important stuff. Focus on and appreciate the many good things your spouse has to offer. Am I way off here interpreting Franklin's thoughts?

That's my view...... What Say You?

No comments: