Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Quote #239, My Thoughts and YOUR thoughts

I love Quotes. I love them because they make me think. What does the quoter mean? Why did he/she write this? Is there a message to get through to the reader/the world? What did YOU initially think when you read it?

Here goes blog quote #239...

"If I finish second in the country at Notre Dame, everybody calls me an idiot. If a guy finishes last in medical school, they call him a doctor."
-Lou Holtz-

Two things come to mind after reading this quote. First, do we place way to much emphasis on winning sports as a society? Second, where are our priorities?

One of the reasons I idol and respect Coach John Wooden is that he does not stress the final score, but to him if you did your best and more importantly, if you gave it your all that day..THAT is winning. Usually, if the fundamentals have been learned properly and practiced long and hard, those, coupled with your 100% effort; the score will takes care of itself. Don't get me wrong here.Wooden likes to win like anyone else, but his definition of winning differs quite a bit from most others. I'm with Wooden.

That's my view....... What Say You?

No comments: