Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Quote #254, My Thoughts and YOUR thoughts

Here goes blog quote #254...

"Say what you want about the Ten Commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them."
-H.L. Mencken-

Funny, as I was reading this, my mind went in two totally different directions. I'm curious HOW you read this quote.

For me, first I thought of the simplicity of the 10 commandments. In a world of 1200 page stimulus packages, 34 page instruction manuals and other writings that seem to be unable to be simplified down to one page.. the ten commandments are pretty concise. There is something to be said for works of brevity, to the point, and written with an ease of understanding.

My second interpretation of this quote, was to be thankful there are only ten "rules" to follow . There could have been 29 or 64 of them. In addition to that, if you do a good job on the basic ten, you should be living a pretty clean and decent and respectable life.

Now.. how did you read Mencken's quote?

That's my view....... What Say You?

No comments: