Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Blog Quote #482

Here goes Blog Quote #482...
"Those who praise anything I do and anything I say, they are not my good friends. Those who, with honest opinion, tell me my faults and my mistakes, they are my good friends."
-Isocrates-

At first blush this may seem backward or contradictory. The key word in this quote here is HONEST.

Do we want positive, supporting friends? Yes. Do we want caring friends who back us and believe in us? Of course. But we also want honest friends who will be straight with us, not puff smoke at us, and tell us all is rosy and bright, when they truly don't believe that it is. That's where the honest part comes in.

Theres an old saying in business, that if all the partners agree on everything, than all the partners are not needed. Good friends are there for us in thick and thin, but they are also up front with us and tell us what we need to know.

As my Mom used to say-- "You can say anything to anyone-- as long as you say it-- in a polite manner." I believe that is the true meaning of constructive criticism. It's a good thing as it's meant to be helpful.

That's my view...what say you?

1 comment:

IsIsJessie said...

I say, "You can't handle the truth!" Lol. Just kidding. I believe my friends like me because I am honest and objective with my opinions. Sometimes they like it and sometimes not. People are sensitive. I always try to say it in a nice way, but occasionally I hit a nerve. I prefer people to be honest with me. If my breath stinks, tell me! Lol. If yours does, I will let you know. After all, that's what friends are for! ; )